About Us

We are members of the Andrew Gonzalez lab , in the Biology Department at McGill University.
Montréal, Québec, Canada

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Girl talk. One gal’s thoughts about gender bias in Academia


Growing up, I assumed gender equality was a non-issue, at least when it came to school. We dealt with that ages ago, right? I spent my elementary school days happily playing soccer with the boys, and my aspirations of being a scientist were encouraged by my peers and teachers. In high school, a bright, young, female physics teacher taught one of my favourite classes. Girls dominated the top of my cohort. Glass ceiling? Oh, you must be referring to the song by that popular Canadian indie rock band, right?

I moved away to attend University. While an eye-opening experience in many ways, I remained blissfully unaware that a gender gap existed in Academia. After all (even though girls can’t do math) I found myself vying with my (female) roommate for the highest grade in calculus, and although in retrospect most of my professors were male, there were enough female professors to look up to that I guess I just really didn’t notice the discrepancy. Perhaps it was partly due to something I’ve come to affectionately call the “Guelph effect”. (Guelph is without a doubt the most accepting city I have lived in with regards to gender equality, LGBT issues, and just general all around respect regardless of whom you are or how you identify. The sense of community there is palpable.) Either way, I left undergrad entirely unknowing that I would soon be entering a world evidently rife with gender bias. 

Enter grad school. I can’t say for sure whether it was the shift in location, the move up the academic hierarchy from bachelors to masters, my newfound fascination with twitter, or perhaps just a coincidence, but suddenly it seemed like references to gender inequality in science (and academia in general) were everywhere. And I was fascinated. I learned that while female students equal, or even outnumber, males throughout much of graduate school, there is an attrition of women at every phase of the academic track, dropping from 42.6% of assistant professors to only 36.2% of associate professors and 21.7% of full professors (lower still in many STEM fields), and even then, women make less than their male counterparts

In a much-reported-upon new study, both male and female science faculty were found to be more likely to hire a male job candidate than female despite equal qualifications. Another study shows females had to be 2.5x as productive as males to land biomedical postdoc positions in Sweden (Sweden! A nation lauded for it’s gender equality). Female academics also do double the housework of their male counterparts, and while marriage has been shown to help male professors get ahead, not so for women (even in dual academic couples, men are more likely to rate their own career as more important than that of their partner). Then there are the reports of female scientists judged on attractiveness at conferences, and female bloggers contending with misogynist comments and threatening emails.  All that, and I haven’t even mentioned the baby aspect.

Now, before I get carried away here, I’ll confess that I’ve personally had no direct experiences in the academic world that have made me feel inferior to my male peers (which is perhaps why all of this research has caught me so off-guard). I’ve always felt that my work is respected by my (awesome!) male labmates and supervisor, I have an incredibly supportive partner, and I’m fortunate to have found a strong female role model in my co-supervisor. But I have to wonder, is this partly an artifact of my current position on the academic ladder? If I were a PhD student, or a postdoc vying for an elusive tenure track position, would I suddenly be treated differently, solely on the basis of my gender? It’s awful enough that we as a society still can’t seem to shake street harassment; shouldn’t an arena as supposedly objective as academia be able to rid itself of these antiquated notions of a gender hierarchy?

To end on a more positive note, it does seem that just recognizing the bias can help us work towards solutions. Editors at Nature have posited that simply working through a conscious loop can help eliminate gender bias in peer review, and there has been a (controversial) call for a pledge to help phase out all-male panels at science and tech conferences. Hopefully, things will continue to improve, and should I find myself doing a postdoc one day, these issues will be a thing of the past.

What do you think? Should I start using my gender-neutral middle name on job applications, or doth the lady protest too much?


A few excellent references I haven’t mentioned:
This excellent blog from The Last Word on Nothing
This study on "The Attrition of Women in the Biological Sciences"

8 comments:

  1. Perhaps it is simply that I am in a similar stage of life or position to you - but I also feel surrounded by posts, tweets, blogs, books, and roundtable discussions on the gender bias for women. Having reached my third (gulp!) decade of life, and hopefully nearing the end of my doctorate degree this year has put everything blunt perspective for me. One by one several of my female friends and colleagues have fallen into one of two categories - those that remain childless and have/search for a job... and those that have children and give up their academic career. I feel rather stuck in the middle.

    I have yet to hear an answer from all the various sources as to whether women can have it all... or can't. I heartily agree that a career in academia or sciences isn't easy no matter what your gender. Is being a woman always going to be harder in certain aspects (can you say 'childbirth'), yes. Do I want to act like a man to get ahead - not really...

    I will remain positive, hard-working, and hopeful that society as a whole will recognize the value a women has in the workplace AND the home and change accordingly. I will thank the many wonderful role-models and mentors (male and female) that I have in my life. And be proud to be part of a cohort of so many fantastic young female scientists!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Carly,

    Nice blog, thanks for sharing it! Are you coming to the European Society of Evolutionary Biology conference in August by any chance? I am considering with a few colleagues to address this issue and to gather people that would like to change these things, as well as share ideas how we might do this. If you want to participate or maybe want to use our experience to get something similar started at another conference/ symposium...let me know!

    Cheers, Nellie Konijnendijk (Msc biology at the KU Leuven, Belgium)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi everyone, i'm little ashamed to tell such a story, on how i enlarge my penis by Dr, Ken. it really matters in your relationship or marriage. I got married to my wife about 1 month after we met on a photo studio, we lived happily for the first 3 months of our marriage until i and my wife started having quarrels at home because i couldn't satisfy her on bed with my little penis. Actually my penis was very small, it measured about 3.2 inches long on erection and i am 39 years old. My wife said it was forbidden by the women of this world. My wife started sleeping with other men outside. Sometimes i will return from work without finding my wife at home and whenever i call or ask her where she was, she will always snub at me and sometimes just tell me to go get a larger dick. All this continued for a long time and it hurt me so much that i was at the edge of breaking up on the marriage till when i read about a doctor called Dr ken online. I never thought i could smile and be in a happy marriage again if not for the help of Dr Ken. I got the doctors Website Emails: drkensolutiontemple@gmail.com mobile number +2348102574680    

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very happy day of my life with the help Dr Larry has rendered to me by helping me to get my divorce husband back with his magic power and love spell. i was married for 8 years and it was so terrible because my husband was really cheating on me, and was seeking for a divorce but when i came across Dr Larry email on the internet on how he help so many people to get their ex back and help fixing relationship and make people to be happy in their relationship. i explained my situation to him and then seek his help but to my greatest surprise he told me that he will help me with my case and here i am now celebrating because my Husband has change totally for good he started begging me to forgive him that he is very sorry for everything, i was really surprised and was also happy, so that was how i forgive him and now we are living together happily than ever before and He always want to be by me and can not do anything without my present. i am really happy with my marriage, what a great celebration. thank you to Dr Larry who helped me a lot, if you need his help you can contact him through email assurancesolutionhome@gmail com Website http://assurancesolutionhome.website2.me/ call or WhatsApp +2348102316854





    This is a very happy day of my life with the help Dr Larry has rendered to me by helping me to get my divorce husband back with his magic power and love spell. i was married for 8 years and it was so terrible because my husband was really cheating on me, and was seeking for a divorce but when i came across Dr Larry email on the internet on how he help so many people to get their ex back and help fixing relationship and make people to be happy in their relationship. i explained my situation to him and then seek his help but to my greatest surprise he told me that he will help me with my case and here i am now celebrating because my Husband has change totally for good he started begging me to forgive him that he is very sorry for everything, i was really surprised and was also happy, so that was how i forgive him and now we are living together happily than ever before and He always want to be by me and can not do anything without my present. i am really happy with my marriage, what a great celebration. thank you to Dr Larry who helped me a lot, if you need his help you can contact him through email assurancesolutionhome@gmail com Website http://assurancesolutionhome.website2.me/ call or WhatsApp +2348102316854

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ever since my husband got me divorced for the past 2 years, i v'e not been my self. I was reviewing some post of how i could get back my husband then, i saw a testimony shared by Marina Choas from SWEDEN about a spell caster named Dr. tunde. I contacted Marina Chaos to confirm about how Dr. tunde helped her and she clarified everything to me of how he helped her and that gave me the courage to get in touch with Dr. tunde for help. Dr. tunde assured me that my days of sorrows will be over within 48hours after he has finished with his work. I followed his instructions he gave to me because i had the believe, faith, hope and trust in him. Verily i say to you today that i and my husband are back together and i can proudly say and testify to the world of what Dr. tunde did for me. Contact him today via E-mail:(babatundesolutioncentre1@gmail.com) OR call him or whatsapp him +2348143581382 if you seek his help. Also specialize in treating all kinds of illness, HERPES VIRUS, HEPATITIS B, CANCER, BRAIN DISEASE, INFERTILITY, DIABETES AND MORE

    ReplyDelete
  6. After being in relationship with Wilson for seven years,he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to someone online and she suggested that I should contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that don’t believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I meant a spell caster called Dr Zuma zuk and I email him, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened, that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him, that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem and who is different from all the fake ones out there. Anybody could need the help of the spell caster, his email: spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +15068001647
    you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or anything. CONTACT HIM NOW FOR SOLUTION TO ALL YOUR PROBLEMS

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the website I read about DR ISIKOLO and contacted him to help me get my ex boyfriend back to marry me during the month of May this year and I have come back here to post about him. Doctor Isikolo will help you solve your problem no matter what you are going through. My name is Anna Oscar. Posting about a spell caster is very strange to me because I never believed i will be able to say that I was helped by a spell caster in bringing my ex boyfriend back to me even when he left me due to infidelity and constant abuse and we fought severally and after 6 months of no contact. I read about Doctor Paul from other websites and contacted him to help me and in less than 48 hours my ex boyfriend called me and I was happy that he wants to get back to me. We met same month and he proposed to me. It was the most beautiful ring. Please everyone out here, Contact DR ISIKOLO to solve your problem for you and make you happy with your relationship that is hurting you. Love is the best feeling ever experienced. Email him at: isikolosolutionhome@gmail.com You can also WhatsApp him on +1(725)240-4536

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Name is Elena I want to testify of the good work of Lord Zuma who helped me in achieving the goals, i was in a relationship for 4years with my boyfriend and everything was going so sweet i loved him and i believed he loved me more than anything in this world after a while i noticed some changes in him so i knew something was wrong i tried to pleases him in several ways but no outcome, shortly i noticed he was seeing another girl i tried to make him understand that i loved him so much but he wouldn't even listen, one day i read a testimony on a similar case a person testifying of the work of this great Lord Zuma even when i did not believe i was convinced by my girlfriend so i contacted him and let him know all my problems and he said i should not worry that everything will be okay for me, in 2days my lover came asking me to forgive him after giving Lord Zuma the information and the necessary things to carry out the work for me, so if you are going through any problem contact him he might be the answer to your problem, here is his email address. spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +1 506 800 1647.

    ReplyDelete